March 20, 2014

Trader Joe's vs the World: Peas on Earth

I've decided to start a new feature on this blog where I compare a store brand product with a real product based on my completely arbitrary and biased categories ;). For this first post, I'm comparing Calbee Snapea Crisps with Trader Joe's Inner Peas. I received the Calbee crisps in my Popsugar Must Have March box and bought the TJ's version to compare.





Ingredients:
Calbee: Green Peas, corn oil, rice, salt, calcium carbonate and vitamin C
TJs: Whole green peas, canola oil, rice, salt, calcium carbonate

Winner: Tie - both are made mostly from green peas. Canola oil might be better for you than corn oil, but it's debatable.

Packaging:
Both are packed in similar non-resealable lined bags. Even the overall layout of the packaging is more or less the same.

Winner: Tie - how boring!


(Left is TJs, Right is Calbee. The packaging is basically the same color.)

First look:
Calbee appears more "greasy" and has smaller bits and flakes. TJ's looks heathier.

Winner: Hard to call, but TJ's. These are meant to be a healthy snack.
TJ's

Calbee
Color & appearance:
Calbee is more green. TJ's has a weird brownish tint.

Winner: Calbee, for more vibrant colors.

Close up detail!

Size:
Calbee has larger peas overall, though Trader Joe's is less variable in size.

Winner: Tie. Does this category even matter? Nope. But HHR provides very thorough reporting.

Yes, I did have fun lining these up. Thanks. :P
Taste:
Calbee tastes a little more strongly of peas, but I can only tell if I'm literally eating them back to back. More or less the same.

Winner:  Tie. If I can't tell the difference....?

Overall Battle winner: Tie
Although there are subtle differences in ingredients and taste, both products are more or less the same!

Note: I received the Calbee Snapeas in my Popsugar Must Have box (March), and thus don't have a price for the item!
Popsugar Box

FTC Disclaimer: The Pop Sugar MH box was purchased by me for my own personal use. Links provided in this entry are referral links in which I can earn referral credits.


/*Default Image Size*/